NEWS FROM SOUTH COUNTY FIRE
Two toddlers injured in separate window falls
Two toddlers were injured after falling out of open windows at two different apartment complexes in unincorporated south Everett on Monday afternoon.
South County Fire responded to the first fall around 2:50 p.m. A 3-year-old boy pushed against a window screen and fell three stories, landing in landscape bark at an apartment complex in the 12100 block of Highway 99. Medics transported the boy to Providence Everett Medical Center.
Many of the same firefighters also responded at 4:40 p.m. when a boy estimated to be around 3 or 4 years old fell out a second-floor window onto a wood deck at an apartment complex in the 800 block of 124th St. SW. Medics transported the boy to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
South County Fire cannot provide additional information on injuries due to privacy laws.
South County Fire urges parents of young children to be aware of the dangers open windows can pose and offers these safety tips:
- Adult supervision is key. Unattended children run the greatest risk of falls and injuries, so the best first step is to watch children as they play.
- Keep furniture that children can climb on away from windows.
- Do not depend on window screens to prevent children from falling. Screens can easily give way under a child’s weight.
- Consider installing window locks that prevent windows from opening more than 4 inches. These devices can be easily removed by an adult in an emergency. Window locks can be found at hardware stores and children’s specialty stores.